Free Excess Trash Week
In the spring and fall, the City of Gastonia's Solid Waste Division allows customers the opportunity to properly dispose of unwanted excess household trash, free of charge. We encourage you to seek alternative sustainable options first, such as reusing or donating slightly used items. These items will not be collected: building materials, dirt, rocks, bricks, hazardous liquides, batteries, and automotive parts. For more nformation about this service call 704-866-6774.
We can pick up your large, bulky items.
The City of Gastonia provides weekly curbside collection at residential homes of items that are too large, heavy or bulky to fit in the green garbage cart for normal garbage pickup. To receive notices and information, enter your address in the chart below.
- No automobile parts or batteries.
- Tires will be collected for a fee of $5 off rim / $8 on rim.
- No dirt, rocks, concrete or ceramic tile.
- No liquids, poisons or explosives.
- All glass needs to be unbroken and have duct tape with an "X" mark from corner to corner.
- Please bag smaller items such as clothing and debris.
- Bag all sheetrock/insulation.
- Floor covering needs to be cut to 4 foot lengths, rolled and tied.
How much does it cost?
Bulky item pick-up is not free. Please click here for a complete list of solid waste fees. Please note there are two weeks per year where collection of such items is free. To get information on those dates please check your calendar above.
When do I put items at the curb?
Place bulky items on the curb no later than 7 a.m. on your collection day. Items may be placed on the curb as early as 6 p.m. the day before your collection day.