Yard trimmings and brush are collected separately from garbage so that they can be taken to a facility where they’re turned into mulch – instead of depositing them at a landfill and wasting valuable natural resources. Check out our leaf collection page for information about when and how we collect leaves.
Yard Waste Collection Schedule
- City-issued yard waste carts are emptied weekly on the customer’s regular garbage collection day. Information about yard waste carts is below.
- Loose yard waste is collected weekly. Loose yard waste includes items piled at the curb, items in personal containers, or any yard waste not in a City-issued cart.
- Residents with the WasteWise app can receive notifications when we will collect yard waste on their street.
City-issued yard waste carts
An optional 95-gallon brown yard waste cart is available for $50 by calling City Solid Waste's customer service center at 704-866-6774 or by requesting one using the WasteWise app. The one-time fee is charged on your utility bill, but there is no additional monthly charge for the cart. The cart will be maintained by the city for the life of the cart. We will also repair lids, wheels and other parts of the cart if necessary. The yard waste cart is great for grass clippings, shrub trimmings, fallen leaves, and smaller sticks and branches. Please do not contaminate with trash such as plastic flower containers, bags or other debris.
Putting Yard Waste at the Curb
Limbs collected by Solid Waste Division crews will be no larger than four inches (4") in diameter and no longer than five feet (5') in length. Tree shurbbery and limbs shall hae all protruding branches trimmed. Limbs must be stacked in small, neat piles. Tree shrubbery and limbs shall have all protruding branches trimmed. Limbs must be stacked in small, neat piles in a manner that one individual could easily pick up each pile, one at a time, for disposal. Each pile shall weigh no more than 50 pounds and shall not exceed four feet (4’) in height or five feet (5’) in length. No plastic bags, garbage, bulk items, stumps, or root balls are accepted in yard waste piles.
Tree trunks larger than four inches (4”) in diameter will not be collected by the City. Tree stumps will not be collected by the City or its authorized agent.
Remember that loose yard waste is collected weekly on your regular garbage pickup day.
Are there fees for large amounts of yard waste?
Fees for yard waste collection are $25 for any amount over 4.5 cubic yards or easily measured by what will fit into the back of a standard size pick-up truck. The fee is increased in increments of $25 per truck load. These collections will require the use of our large knuckle boom truck.
YARD WASTE COLLECTION PROGRAM
- The measurement of 4.5 cubic yards is approximately equal to a full-size pick-up truck bed filled to the top of the cab.
- The fee is assessed on girth rather than weight.
- The Solid Waste Division may decline to collect any yard waste this is not prepared or placed for collection in accordance with these regulations, or exceeds the maximum amount.
- The Solid Waste Division shall not collect any trees or tree limbs when the service has been performed for a fee or results from land clearning work or commercial landscaping or yard service.
How can I avoid yard waste collection fees?
- City-issued yard waste carts - these are 95-gallon carts (same size as a garbage cart) and can hold up to 300 pounds of yard waste material. The cost of the cart is a one-time $50 charge and can be purchased on a 5-month payment plan through utility billing. Once purchased, the cart is repaired and/or replaced, at no charge, for the life of the cart. Use the WasteWise app or call 704-866-6774 to request a yard waste cart.
- In addition to the yard waste cart, customers can place a loose pile of material at the curb that is less than a standard pick -up truck load at no charge.
- Customers may choose to place their yard waste at the curb in smaller increments, rather than one large pile that exceed the pick-up truck load.
Compost it in your own backyard.
Click here for information about how to create your own composting area.
For more information, please contact the City's Solid Waste Division customer service center at 704-866-6774 or email us at email@example.com.