CityView FAQ’s Building Permits & Inspections

The following is a list of frequently asked questions about Building Permits and Inspections. 


  • Maximum Payments allowed through Portal is $25,000 – If your total exceeds this amount, make payments in the amount of $25,000 or less by paying in partial payments.  Make sure any unpaid amounts are paid in full.  If a single permit fee is over $25,000, you can contact us at 704-866-6729 for us to take a credit card payment over the phone or you can send a check made out to City of Gastonia and mail to City of Gastonia, Attn: Building Services, PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053.
  • Building Contractors/ General Contractor and all Single Trade Contractors must follow instructions in order to register for City View Portal access and to upload Contractor Form, when prompted on portal contractor registration process. Please do not email, form must be uploaded.  Below are step-by step instruction videos on this process and it is highly recommended to watch these before registering.  

How to Register on CityView Portal Tutorial 

CityView Portal Registration


How to Register on CityView Portal

Contractor Registration Tutorial

CV Portal Contractor



Cómo registrarse en CityView Portal Tutorial

CV Portal Spanish

Cómo registrarse en CityView Portal

Tutorial Registracion de Contratista

CV Portal Contractor Spanish
















Homeowners doing work themselves and applying for a permit will need to follow the following video for portal access;

 How to Register on CityView Portal TutorialCV Portal

Cómo registrarse en CityView Portal Tutorial
CV Portal Spanish









• General Contractor/Building Contractor Listing Subs on Application

• Homeowners Doing work Themselves

• Lien Agent - when required


• Addition (Commercial or Residential)

• Alcohol Law Enforcement (ABC Permit)

• Accessory Buildings (Sheds and Detached Garages for Commercial and Residential

• Building - New Commercial

• Building - New Multi-Family Dwelling (apartment buildings)

• Building - Solar Panels

• Building - Retaining Walls (Residential or Commercial)

• Car Port

• Change of Use

• Commercial Shell

• Construction Trailer

• Day Care & Family Care Permits

• Deck (Commercial and Residential)

• Demolition (Commercial and Residential)

• Equipment Change Out Application

• Manufactured Home, also known as Mobile Home (Double Wide or Single Wide)

• Moving Permit (House Moving Permit)

• New Single-Family Dwelling & Modular Home

• Pool/Hot Tub

• Renovation (Interior Remodel for Commercial and Residential)

• Roof

• Sign Permit

• Single Trade Permits - Electrical

• Single Trade Permits - Mechanical

• Single Trade Permits - Plumbing

• Temporary Power

• Tent Permits

Zoning (Certificate of Compliance) Permit


 Offices for Building Permits and Inspections are located in the Garland Municipal Business Center at 150 S. York Street on the first floor.

Contact Information:
Garland Municipal Business Center
150 S. York Street, Gastonia, NC  28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC  28053-1748)
Open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. 

704.866.6729 extension 3 (office)
704.836.0010 (fax)

Print   Email











Gastonia, N.C., just minutes west of Charlotte, is one of the area’s best places to live and work with an ideal combination of location, size and livability. Gastonia is the largest of Gaston County’s 13 municipalities and one of the largest cities in the Charlotte metropolitan area. Selected as an All-America City three times, Gastonia’s desirable quality of life is the result of its beautiful natural surroundings, friendly neighborhoods, responsive government and vibrant business environment.



  181 S. South Street
Gastonia NC 28052