Lateral Transfers

Ofcr Car Flag Main Avenue at nightA law enforcement officer with general certification may transfer from one law enforcement agency in North Carolina to another law enforcement agency in the state, provided he or she has less than a 12-month break in service.
Prior to employment, the hiring agency must:
  1. Verify the certification of the officer with the Standards Division.
  2. Submit an up-to-date fingerprint check.
  3. Advise the officer that he or she will have to complete a one-year probationary period with the agency.
  4. Submit a Report of Appointment to the Standards Division.
Prior to transfer of certification, the officer must:
  1. Complete a Medical History Statement within one year prior to transfer. 
  2. Submit to a medical examination by a physician licensed in the state of North Carolina within one year prior to the transfer, and submit the results to the employing agency.
  3. Submit verification of negative drug screen results.
  4. If the on-duty and off-duty weapons are the same at the new agency as they were at the old agency, the officer should submit a copy of the in-service firearms training report form to the new agency, provided that the results are dated within one year prior to the transfer of, the officer must satisfactorily complete the employing agency’s in-service firearms training program.

An officer holding probationary certification may not laterally transfer from one law enforcement agency to another. The probationary period must be completed in its entirety at the same agency. If an officer terminates employment with one agency before his or her year is up, they must start a new probationary period at the new agency.