Yard trimmings and brush are collected separately from garbage so that they can be taken to a facility where they’re turned into mulch – instead of depositing them at a landfill and wasting valuable natural resources. Check out our leaf collection page for info about when and how we collect leaves.
Yard Waste Collection Schedule
- City-issued yard waste carts are emptied weekly on the customer’s regular garbage collection day. Information about yard waste carts is below.
- Loose yard waste is collected weekly. Loose yard waste includes items piled at the curb, items in personal containers, or any yard waste not in a City-issued cart.
- Residents with the WasteWise app can receive notifications when we will collect yard waste on their street.
City-issued yard waste carts
An optional 95-gallon brown yard waste cart is available for $50 by calling City Solid Waste's customer service center at 704-866-6774 or by requesting one using the WasteWise app. The one-time fee is charged on your utility bill, but there is no additional monthly charge for the cart. The cart will be maintained by the city for the life of the cart. We will also repair lids, wheels and other parts of the cart if necessary. The yard waste cart is great for grass clippings, shrub trimmings, fallen leaves, and smaller sticks and branches. Please do not contaminate with trash such as plastic flower containers, bags or other debris.
Putting Yard Waste at the Curb
Individual tree and shrub limbs up to four feet long and four inches in diameter can be stacked curbside. No plastic bags, garbage, bulk items, stumps or root balls are accepted in brush piles. To avoid collection charges, make sure piles do not exceed 4.5 cubic yards or what will fit in the bed of a standard size pickup truck. Please do not place in the street or on a sidewalk. Remember that loose yard waste is collected weekly on your regular garbage pickup day.
Are there fees for large amounts of yard waste?
Fees for yard waste collection are $25 for any amount over 4.5 cubic yards or easily measured by what will fit into the back of a standard size pick-up truck. The fee can be increased in increments of $25 per truck load. Most of these collections will require the use of our large knuckle boom truck.
YARD WASTE COLLECTION PROGRAM
- The measurement of 4.5 cubic yards is approximately equal to a full-size pick-up truck bed filled to the top of the cab.
- The fee is assessed on girth rather than weight.
- Bulk limbs are collected manually by a 3-person crew and/or mechanically by a truck that has a knuckle boom arm with a clam shell.
How can I avoid yard waste collection fees?
- City-issued yard waste carts - these carts are 95-gallon (same size as a garbage cart) and can hold up to 300 pounds of yard waste material. The cost of the cart is a one-time $50 charge and can be purchased on a 5-month payment plan through utility billing. Once purchased, the cart is repaired and/or replaced, at no charge, for the life of the cart. Use the WasteWise app or call 704-866-6774 to request a yard waste cart.
- In addition to the yard waste cart, customers can place a loose pile of material at the curb that is less than a standard pick -up truck load at no charge.
- Customers may choose to place their yard waste at the curb in smaller increments, rather than one large pile that exceed the pick-up truck load.
- Customers can take their yard waste to the Gaston County Yard Waste Facility or one of its Convenience Sites for $4 per pick-up truck load. Site locations can be found at: http://www.gastongov.com/government/departments/solid_waste/recycling_centers.php
Drop it off at a Gaston County Convenience Site!
Please click herefor a list of sites and locations where you can take your yard waste.
Compost it in your own backyard.
Click here for information about how to create your own composting area.
For more information please contact the City Solid Waste customer service center at 704-866-6774 or firstname.lastname@example.org.